Warning: Use of undefined constant REQUEST_URI - assumed 'REQUEST_URI' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/www/rudhamorplockton.co.uk/wp-content/themes/wish-child/functions.php on line 73
January, 2018 | Rudha Mor

Wild Weather Continues Jan 29th

 

While the ever-changing wild weather continues outside there is plenty of work to do inside. A newly order flat pack bee-hive has arrived and needed assembling so I go busy with that while the wind rain and sleet whipped around. Unlike Ikea furniture this did not come with instructions so a fun day and a half of figuring that out kept me busy. When there was a break in the weather I decided to get the digger over to the area that granny and I decided would be best for the bees and cleared back the surface. I also did a surface scrapping of the area just behind the tall hedge in front of the house where brambles and other weeds have begun creeping into the meadow. I will have to go in again and remove all of the for burning.

The area we have chosen for the beehive is in the wooded area across the meadow from the house so there is some wind protection and it is right on the meadows edge so the bees will have immediate access to a fantastic food supply. It is also not too close the the walkers path. We are hoping this will be a great place but we can only try and see.

I have also been very busy potting up all of the newly arrived root stock, running low on space already!!

Hurricane Winds Rip Across Rudha Mor Jan 25th 2018

 

Storm Georgina hit us last night and we recorder winds up to 88 miles per hour at the house but across the meadow they were probably even stronger.

Thankfully the pollytunnel is holding up fine but the wind and deer fences both blew down. The wind fence is about 15 feet from the edge of the deer fence which is around the veg garden. At the moment there are only onions growing in the veg garden so the fence being compromised is not too big of an issue right now.

The wind fence is repairable and what was good to see is that the willow which we planted on the far side of the wind fence is all still standing strong in the ground. I am guessing that it has all taken root and hopefully we will soon see it starting to grow and become another layer of wind defence.

The chicken hut rolled  and it has caused a little damage but nothing too major and the stained glass window is still intact!!

While having a good check around the property and clearing fallen debris after winds I discovered a deer cave in an area overgrown with rhododendron ponticum so I destroyed it! It may sound harsh but the more ways in which we can disturb the areas in which the deer live the more likely we can discourage them living here and destroying the young trees and plants.

Another surprise discovery is a pair of mink, which as the Scottish Wildlife Trust explains, are very cute but ferocious hunters and could have a terrible effect on the bird population of Rudah Mor.

 

 

Major Drainage Works Afoot

 

 

We have closed the walk to do some major work on the path along the lower edge of the meadow as you head toward the woodland walk.

A combination of the old victorian ceramic pipes being crushed, heavy rains and some poorly laid out drainage piping and the discovery of a spring has lead to major issues in this area.

The fist stage of this project was to dig down on the lower edge of the path and find out where the newly fit drainage pipes were. Surprisingly they were 4 feet down and had been recovered with clay which was causing a major backup. After clearing a huge trench 4 feet deep along a large cation of the path and making holes in the pipe the water started to flowing out.

Stage two is to lay down large pipe with vertical pipes that will come up above the ground level sort of like man holes which we can inspect the flow of water with and if necessary use a pressure she to spray down and clear the flow. Each of the vertical pipes will have rocks mounded up around them to disguise the piping and we can make a feature of them.

There has always been an unusually soft and soggy area just at the end of the path and we thought this was just part of the drainage issue but have discovered that is a natural spring so now we must work out how to feed this into the rest of the drainage to eliminate this problem.

As all these wonderful projects go not long into the initial digging of the trench a pin came loose in the digger which held the arm on and we had to figure out how to refit it. What a difficult chore that was but in the end we had success! Not to mention the sudden downpours which seem to be a common occurrence of late and I was caught out in the trench as one of these happened and was up to my knees in water in moments!!!

 

Back To Top