Of course sorting the drainage at the bottom of the meadow is a massive job and I have had to take pause to repair equipment, order materials and wait for materials to arrive. It has been amazing to see the amount of water that is and has been trying to flow out of this area! I have now dug a large ditch on either side of the path and several routes through. I have started laying out the piping and making sure that it is all draining the way I want it to before I start to put things back in order.
There is still a lot to do to finish it off and get the walk reopened which must be done in time for the tree planting party that we are planning for the end of March. We have been donated 420 trees by the woodland trust and are putting on a family event to get all of them in the ground quickly!!
The beds around the front of the house take a real beating in the wind and lately the wind has been wild!
As an experiment I have decided to plant a low hedge around the bed under the front window to see if this will help protect the young plants as they begin to grow. Wind proofing has become a major job around the house and the veg patch.
The two adjoining sheds at the back have now become one! To create a little more space and light I have built a new inner shell in the shed which means that things on the floor won’t get wet and it will be an easier space to use. This morning as the skies opened up water came rushing under the shed but I checked and the new floor was nice and dry. This is not a permanent solution, the shed really needs a full rebuild but it should last a good few years like this.
After visiting a home garden north of here I have decided to completely change the layout of the vegetable patch. I have dug up the whole area where the polly tunnel and several of the beds were and created deep ditches with mounded soil rows. The plan is to simplify everything, there are still some wood/sleeper raised beds but to reduce the use of materials we are going to plant out these mounds instead. I am hoping this will also help with the unexpected lack of drainage in the newly relocated polly tunnel. We have loads of seeds ready for planting out soon so hopefully we will get a break from this weather and start to feel hints of spring soon.
Well as you know lately we have been getting hurricane speed winds and days with 20 mile per hour winds with 60 mile per hour gusts. As usual the day can start with barely a breeze and the seemingly out of nowhere the winds whip up and can lead to destruction which is exactly what happened on Saturday morning.
I went out to check on things and as I walked down to the lower barn where the vehicle store which we built in October stands only to see it lift right up and flip over onto the raised earth behind it. It was in a terrific position for the winds that we get 90% of the time but they occasionally come from almost the opposite direction and this is exactly what happened. I was a sight to see, thankfully all the vehicles were fine it was just as if the lid was lifted off.
I decided it was time to move the the vehicle store next to the garage in an area we cleared at the end of last year. I also redesigned it so that the front has a lip that comes down and hopefully that won’t create as much of a lift as the last one did.